Sri Lankan Lentil Curry Recipe
Get a Taste of Sri Lanka
One mention of Sri Lanka and we’ve likely got you dreaming up images of far-stretching beaches, white sand and picture-perfect sunsets…and you’d be right. But perhaps lesser known is that this beautiful island – otherwise known as ‘The Teardrop of India’ – also happens to be a delight in the food department. And, we love this Sri Lankan Lentil Curry. Sri Lankan cuisine is wholly unique, combining a melting pot of different flavours and cuisines. Hot, fiery spices mix together with cooling coconut, lending it its tropical edge whilst blending together tasty contrasting flavours. Is your mouth watering yet?
In honour of our yearly winter escapes to this gorgeous island, we wanted to share with you one of our favourite Sri Lankan dishes. Aside from being easy to make, this delicious Lentil Coconut Curry comes with a whole host of exciting health benefits. You’ve probably heard the hype around turmeric recently – and with good reason. This powerful herb contains potent anti-inflammatory properties, perfect for boosting the immune system in the winter months. Combining this together with coconut – AKA superfood of the moment – means this dish wins top marks in the health stakes.
For those not lucky enough to make it to the sunshine this winter, rest easy knowing this warming curry will be working its magic to keep you in tip-top condition throughout the winter months.
Sri Lankan Lentil Curry
Sri Lankan Lentil Curry Ingredients:
– 250g red lentils
– 1 tsp turmeric powder
– 200ml coconut milk
– 1 green cayenne chilli (sliced)
– 2 tbsp coconut oil
– 1 onion (chopped finely)
– 3 garlic cloves
– 3 red kashmiri chillies
– Handful of curry leaves
– ¼ tsp salt
– 1 tsp cumin seeds
– 1 tsp black mustard seeds
– 7.5cm cinnamon stick
– 150g tomatoes (chopped)
Sri Lankan Lentil Curry Method:
1. Place the lentils, turmeric and 1 litre of water together in a pan. Bring to boil and then allow to simmer for 40 mins, until the lentils have thickened.
2. Next, add the coconut milk to the lentils and allow to simmer for another 15 mins or so, stirring occasionally.
3. Separately, heat the coconut oil in a frying pan and add in the onion and garlic, frying gently. Once these are lightly browned, add the remaining herbs and spices. Fry together for 1 min. Finally, add in the tomatoes and cook for another minute or so until softened.
4. Then, pour the mixture into the dal and season with salt.
5. Serve your Sri Lankan Lentil Curry with rice.
Enjoy! Or, join us for one of our retreats in magical Sri Lanka and taste the magic of the islands’ food by the people who created it.